“The negative consequences of overexploiting sand are felt in poorer regions where sand is mined extensively…”
- “Sand extraction physically alters rivers and coastal ecosystems…”
- “…Extensive mining makes these communities more vulnerable to floods…”
- “Research shows that sand mining operations are affecting numerous animal species…”
- “As long as national regulations are lightly enforced, harmful effects will continue to occur.”
- “This problem is rarely mentioned in scientific discussions and has not been systemically studied.”
Oropouche River Snaking Between flood Prone Communities on Its Way to The Ocean.